Tuesday, November 12, 2013

First Days of Mythologies

I've always been fascinated by myths. Derived from a love for history and stories, I immediately took to mythologies and the lessons they could teach. Which is why I was ecstatic when I found myself enrolled in Professor Sexson's class. I believed I possessed  a solid grip on the fundamentals of most myths and the cultures of their time but, one class in, and oh, how I am mistaken.

The amount of names to process, their relations to others, and even how to pronounce them shall be a very enjoyable challenge. However, outside of just the myths themselves, Sexson seems to teach us vocabulary, etymologies, books worth reading, and just overall lessons for life, all at the same time. And all in an enjoyable manner.  He thinks far outside the box and loves what he teaches, making him a wonderful educator and storyteller. More subjects need to be taught this way. It still dumbfounds me at how often myths are relevant today and all the things that stem from them. I yearn to learn more and am incredibly pleased to be in this class with peers wanting the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment