Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Juggling the Mundane

My life is chalk full of routines. Though I try to view them as miniature traditions. It was relatively difficult for me to find an interesting way to alter them. Most routines were simple: morning start-up, school/work schedule, socializing habits. Too simple to alter significantly. I had tried to magnify them anyway. Music makes any situation more enjoyable. A cold beer in a hot shower was a good twist for after work. Spending time with less known acquaintances doing things I hadn't done often. Sure I acquired more experiences and knowledge, but I felt it just wasn't consistent enough to be considered routine. So I decided to develop a new mini-tradition. One with more flare.

I started throwing things. Anything. In any direction. Juggling has been an occasional hobby of mine, but one I never took too seriously. It is possible to juggle damn near anything so this is what I based my new experiment on. If I could hold it my hand, and it was logical for tossing, it went in the air. This was no three ball juggling, most of the time I am just flipping things behind my back, over my head, through my legs. Pens are  a common item as I sit down to homework. Car keys are constantly in midair as I come or go from the house. Lobbing trash across the room for garbage can. Plates, bowls, and cups would somersault out of cabinets. Bottles or cans had much for fizz once I got around to opening them. I fantasized myself a glorified bartender, acrobat, or professional ball player in the midst of the flying baubles.

Besides just being entertaining, the flying objects have proved useful. My hand-eye coordination has increased. Items get across the room faster in flight. I've always been clumsy and the repeated catching has helped nab things out of the air before striking the ground. However, there is always a price to pay to learn. We have seen the demise of our off-white carpet with a red wine bottle. At least 4 glasses and 2 bowls have been shattered. There are new cracks on my both my Ipod and cellular screens. The death of a beloved key-chain. Accidental vandalism of an art project. Countless dollars in coins vanished. All in the name of enjoying the mundane.

No comments:

Post a Comment